5 Whys Analysis is a simple but effective method of analyzing and solving problems by asking “why” five times – or as many times as needed to determine root cause.
5 Whys Analysis Example:
- Why did the refrigerator stop working? Compressor motor stopped working
- Why did the compressor motor stop working? It overheated
- Why did the compressor motor overheat? Poor air circulation on a very hot day
- Why was there poor air circulation? The refrigerator was pushed against the wall and paper bags were stuffed around the refrigerator
- Why was refrigerator pushed against the wall and bags stuffed around the refrigerator? Poor process procedure
The 5-Whys is a good way to start and construct cause-and-effect diagrams.
Cause and Effect Diagram Example
« Back to Glossary Index